09 December 2020
Friday 11 December has been officially declared as “Day of action for Education.” Under our #SaveOurEducationZW campaign. The move was inspired by the deteriorating standards of the once reputable education system. The current education crisis is characterised by shambolic examinations for unprepared learners, ravaging COVID19 crisis in ill-equipped schools and teacher incapacitation crisis. It is imperative that the citizens of Zimbabwe collectively express their discontent with the collapse of our once enviable education sector. Friday 11 December, is the day to act for our education.
The Friday protests should include wearing black, tree planting and artistic vigils for education. Wearing black symbolises mourning the collapse of our education system. Planting trees resembles our commitment to invest in education. Citizens are expected to plant trees in their communities and nurture them over time in the same manner we want our education to be nurtured. Citizens are further urged to engage in artistic vigils to demonstrate the crisis in education and recommend possible solutions.
What to do.
- Wear black this Friday 11 December 2020, mourning the death of education.
- Organise your community to plant trees and picket just outside schools demanding solutions to education crisis.
- Engage in an artistic vigil to highlight the challenges confronting our education and recommend possible solutions.
- Submit a petition to your local education officials.
- Share your pictures on social media using #SaveOurEducationZW
Three crisis points have to be urgently addressed in our schools.
- The ongoing apartheid examinations must be stopped. Learners from poor backgrounds are being forced to write examinations they never prepared for. This travesty of justice must be stopped. Exams must be re-written in 2021 after adequate preparations.
- Schools should be closed until COVID19 safety measures have been instituted. Schools are failing to adhere to COVID19 regulations because of underfunding. The blind mass transmission of the corona virus in schools must be stopped!
- Teacher salaries should be restored to USD 520. The incapacitation crisis remains unresolved. Government should urgently restore the value of teacher salaries so that our teachers fully return to duty.
On Friday 11 December 2020, lets unite as a people and speak out to save our education from collapse.
ARTUZ INFORMATION DEPARTMENT
+263775438618/776129336/775643192 Follow us on Tweeter:@ARTUZ_teachers Like our Facebook page: Rural Teachers Union in Zimbabwe Website:www.ruralteachers.co.zw